Over the years I have witnessed thousands of sales people fail. Most have the same thing in common. They strayed away from the basics and fundamentals of sales. I've had the privilege over the years to help many sales people get back to the basics. Guess what? The basics of sales never change. Yes, that's right! The basics and fundamentals of sales never change.
Technology may change. The tools in which we utilize to connect with our prospects and customers may change. One thing has not changed. Human nature. At times we've all strayed away from what is really important. Below is a list of what I consider five basic principles in every sales process.
- Purpose – What is the purpose of the call or meeting?
- Who – Who is your target audience? Are you talking with the right people to produce the right results?
- Plan – What is the game plan for this person or account? What tools will you utilize to connect?
- Solution – What is the potential solution for this person or account?
- Next – Have you clearly communicated what is the next step or steps are in the process?
Your list may look a lot different than mine. To get us back on track, I believe this is a great place to start. There are many other aspects to sales that I have not discussed such as time management, objections, closing or customer service. Each of these topics I mentioned is a separate blog post.
I think the following quote from the book of Proverbs says it all.
“I went by the field of the lazy man, and by the vineyard of the man devoid of understanding; and there it was, all overgrown with thorns; its surface was covered with nettles; its stone wall was broken down. When I saw it, I considered it well; I looked on it and received instruction: a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest; so shall your poverty come like a prowler, and your need like an armed man.”
What does your list look like? Would love to hear your thoughts below.